Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Going Platinum





It's been a while since I posted anything new - work has eaten up lots of time and energy lately. I painted this some weeks ago after my sister in law Katie sent a terrific photo of the guys my niece Katherine works with. Well, maybe I should qualify that. She doesn't actually work with them day-to-day. She works for the company that owns the platinum mine where these guys work.  The mine is way up in a remote area of Alaska - so remote that the town was named after what they mine there.

Apparently this naming happened some time ago, because time or the elements or both have worn quite a bit of the name off the sign on the post office.

This isn't the best rendition of the sketch - I shot it with my cell phone, in a hurry, so I could get it posted. I didn't even manage to get all the guys into the shot. It was lots of fun trying to capture their different looks and what I imagined their personalities to be - not to mention the varieties of facial hair.

The photo listed their names, which I didn't include in the sketch.  There were at least three Jims, as I recall - a big Jim, a Jimmy and a just plain Jim. I got the feeling there's probably a good story behind each one.





No comments:

Post a Comment