Thursday, July 29, 2010
Thanks, mom
My mom used to make a simple yellow cake that always sent us into orbit. This past weekend, I pulled out her recipe to try to make a version of a summer berry cake I fell in love with recently.
Mom's version usually had white icing and bananas between the layers. I added a few twists like fresh berries, a lemon mascarpone filling and a bit more butter, but the foundation is still that wonderfully dense and rich yellow confection that I remember as "hot milk cake."
This version isn't too shabby, I must admit. Oh, and since my photo editing skills aren't so good, I cut off the baking time. You bake it for 30 minutes at 375.
I picture mom taking a bite of this fancied-up version, smiling politely and saying "I liked it better with the bananas."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment