Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Nutty for nutella

Nutella is one of my favorite things.

A few years ago in Paris, I re-discovered it when every morning at breakfast, there were baskets filled with nutella in cute little individual containers, the way jam or butter is presented here in our country. Who was I to question such a charming gesture?  So I happily spread it on anything I could find - toast, muffins, croissants ... my spoon.

Thankfully we did a lot of walking in Paris, so my consumption of nutella as well as the city's many other delightful tastes were somewhat neutralized, give or take 5 pounds.

Imagine my surprise when I came back and bought this jar at our local grocery, only to find it tasted nothing like what I'd had in Paris. Was it just that I was now sitting at my breakfast table in Ohio that caused it to lack that certain something?

Mais non! I asked a foodie friend of mine and learned that the nutella sold in the U.S. has hydrogenated oil in it, along with other additives, which completely changes its flavor and texture. Apparently we Americans like our foods synthetic-ized.

So if you happen to travel overseas and are a nutella fan, stock up. The stuff here just ain't the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment